News / Events
Recent Sakai News and Events
Notice of Bylaw Amendement
Having discussed the following amendment to the bylaws of the Sakai Foundation at its meeting of the 9th June 2012, the Sakai Foundation Board of Directors wishes to provide notice of intent to vote on the amendment at the Board meeting of 17 July 2012. This announcement constitutes notice of a bylaw amendement under s10.1 of the Foundation bylaws. The Foundation bylaws may be found at:
Add new section 15
- At least twenty-one calendar days before the deadline for completion of voting, a designated foundation representative shall provide to each eligible institutional representative, through the mail or electronically, either a mail ballot or instructions for voting electronically. This should be accompanied by all relevant texts, where necessary, or an electronic pointer to such texts, together with a timetable for the ballot, including the deadline for the return of the ballots or for electronic voting. The purpose of this provision is to expressly authorize voting by electronic transmission, pursuant to Section 441(1) of the Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Act, which defines “electronic transmission” as “any form of communication that meets all of the following:
- It does not directly involve the physical transmission of paper;
- It creates a record that may be retained and retrieved by the recipient;
- It may be directly reproduced in paper form by the recipient through an automated process.
- In the case of mail ballots, each voter shall receive a plain envelope in which to enclose a marked ballot, and a second envelope addressed to a designated foundation representative, to be used for the return of the sealed ballot. The envelope addressed to the designated foundation representative shall have a space for the signature of the voter. Ballots lacking this validating signature shall be deemed void.
- In the case of electronic ballots, the designated foundation representative shall utilize a system that verifies each voter’s identity and which maintains security.
- The designated foundation representative shall deliver the results of the ballot to foundation officers within 24 hours of the ballot closing.
- The designated foundation representative, in certifying the results, shall give the tally of votes, including invalid ballots.
- Throughout these bylaws the term "ballot" shall denote either a mail or electronic ballot.
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation